Mold is a fungus that can invade a home in any area where moisture accumulates. Humidity, water leaks, condensation and liquid spills provide an environment where molds can develop in as little as 24 hours and become a threat to the surface they grow on as well as human health. Homeowners who want to avoid using chemical compounds to remove this organism can make a natural cleaning product instead.
The biocide chemicals typically used to eradicate this fungus can be just as harmful to users and household surfaces as they are to the mold itself. The biggest challenges include eliminating stains and odor. Using bleach may effectively remove stains but the user must wear a mask while cleaning and the bleach is likely to result in irreparable surface damage.
Individuals who inhale the spores usually develop an allergic reaction as the immune system reacts to the foreign particles in the system. Symptoms include sneezing, wheezing, coughing, sore throat, itchy nose and watery eyes. Some molds produce dangerous mycotoxins that can damage internal organs, cause mental impairment and lead to cancer. Someone with a suppressed immune system can develop deadly infections in the lungs, sinuses or digestive tract.
A simple solution of equal parts white vinegar and water is an organic mixture that simultaneously kills the mold and disinfects any type of surface. Spray directly on the affected area and repeat as necessary until clean. The solution has a strong smell when first applied but dissipates as it dries and eliminates any foul odors.
Tea tree oil is another organic ingredient that has the ability to kill spores and remove odor. Mix two teaspoons with two cups of water in a spray bottle. Apply daily until the area is clean. This mixture has a clean scent and is an effective deodorizing agent.
Twenty drops of grapefruit seed extract mixed with two cups of water is another organic solution that safely removes mold. Users can spray the affected area daily until the surface is clean without worrying about damage to carpet, fabrics, drywall or wood.
Molds pose a big enough threat without introducing harmful chemicals to the environment and making the situation worse. Using natural cleaning products to eliminate this damaging and dangerous fungus is better for the environment as well as the home’s occupants. With a few simple ingredients, homeowners can stop further growth and eliminate the health problems associated with mold.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7383744